How to migrate from other EU VAT plugins
If you’re switching to the Easy Digital Downloads EU VAT plugin after previously using a different plugin, then it’s important to ensure that no data from the previous plugin is lost.
Migrating from Pronamic
We have fully integrated with Pronamic’s ‘Easy Digital Downloads – VAT’ plugin. When you remove that plugin and install our Easy Digital Downloads EU VAT plugin, all your previous VAT data will copy over correctly. The VAT information in our plugin uses the same database fields as the Pronamic plugin, ensuring a smooth transition.
- The EU VAT that you collected while using the Pronamic plugin will appear in the ‘VAT Details’ section of the EDD payment screen after you install our plugin.
- When you use the EU VAT report to export the data for your tax return, this will include details of the tax you collected while using the Pronamic plugin.
- If you create an EDD Payment report to view the evidence of each customer’s location, IP address and VAT number, the data collected by the Pronamic plugin will appear on the export.
Migrating from WPRoute/Lyquidity
If you previously used WPRoute’s ‘VAT for Easy Digital Downloads’ plugin, then all the EU VAT that you previously collected will appear correctly on the EU VAT report and EDD Payment report. This means that you can continue accessing the data for your tax returns without any problems.
However, the WPRoute plugin stores customers’ VAT numbers in a different database field to Barn2’s EU VAT plugin. When you switch plugins, the VAT numbers that you collected previously will remain safely stored in the WordPress MySQL database, but this information will no longer be available in the WordPress admin or reports.
As a result, before switching plugins, we recommend generating a report of all previous payments (via Downloads → Reports → Export → Export Payment History) and storing this securely. In the unlikely event that you are ever subject to an EU VAT tax audit, this will enable you to access the VAT numbers that the WPRoute plugin used to reverse charge VAT.
If you switch plugins without downloading this information, then the data will still be stored in the WordPress Database. This means that you can export the data from there if needed.
Migrating from using the default EDD tax rates
If you previously collected EU VAT using the default tax options that come with Easy Digital Downloads, then this information will be retained after you start using our plugin.
- The EU VAT that you previously collected will continue appearing in the usual place on the EDD payment screen after you install our plugin.
- When you use the EU VAT report to export the data for your tax return, this will include details of the tax you collected before installing the plugin.
- If you create an EDD Payment report to view the evidence of each customer’s address and IP address, this data will appear for all payments, regardless of when you installed our plugin.
Since Easy Digital Downloads itself doesn’t store or validate VAT numbers, these will only be stored after you start using the EU VAT plugin.