1. Easy Digital Downloads EU VAT
  2. FAQ

How to register for EU VAT

As well as installing the Easy Digital Downloads EU VAT plugin, you must register for VAT in an EU country in order to meet European VAT law.

To save having to submit separate VAT returns to each EU country, we highly recommend registering for Mini-One-Stop-Shop (MOSS). You can use this centralized VAT scheme to submit a quarterly single tax return and make one payment to cover all the EU VAT you collected. The MOSS service will distribute your payment to the relevant EU member states on your behalf, saving you a lot of time.

How to register for MOSS

There are two MOSS schemes, depending on whether or not your company is based in the EU (or has any establishments – such as an office – in the EU):

  • Union SchemeEU companies should register for MOSS with their local tax authority.
  • Non-Union SchemeNon-EU companies can register for VAT with the tax authority for any EU member state. It makes sense to choose a country that shares your language – for example, if you are English speaking then you can register in the Republic of Ireland.

Advice for UK companies

If you’re in the UK, then you should register for UK VAT while the UK remains in the EU. Depending on the outcome of Brexit, you may need to re-register for MOSS with a different EU country such as Ireland. The UK Government will provide guidance on this when it happens.

Still need help?
If searching the knowledge base hasn't answered your question, please contact support.

Related Articles