Using WPML to translate WooCommerce Product Table
WooCommerce Product Table is a WordPress plugin that allows you to create searchable product tables and lists. It is officially certified as being WPML compatible. This means that you can use the world’s leading WPML multilingual plugin to translate your product tables into different languages.
Note: WooCommerce Product Table also comes with several built-in languages which you can use without needing a separate multilingual plugin. Please see our article on translating WooCommerce Product Table.
What you will need
- WooCommerce Product Table plugin (version 2.0 or above)
- A recent version of WPML (version 220.127.116.11 or above)
- A recent version of WooCommerce
- WooCommerce Multilingual
Getting started and what to check
Is your site already configured by your developer?
Please make sure the following plugins and options are activated.
Are you setting up WPML yourself?
Follow the steps below:
- Set up WPML from WPML -> Languages. See the WPML Getting Started Guide for a complete reference. The initial, simple three-step setup is self-explanatory, asking you to choose your default language, a set of active languages, and a language selector. (For starters, choose the footer language selector; you can change this later.)
- Install and activate the core WPML plugin (WPML Multilingual CMS) first, followed by the other WPML plugins listed above.
Follow the steps below to set up WooCommerce Multilingual:
- Install WooCommerce, run the Setup Wizard and set up your store, including adding the products that you plan to list in a product table.
- Install WooCommerce Multilingual, run the Setup Wizard, and add translations for all your products, categories, etc.
Translating WooCommerce Product Table
The next step depends on whether you’re using one of the languages where translations are provided with WooCommerce Product Table. You can see the list of included languages at: https://barn2.co.uk/kb/translate-product-table.
- Included languages – Select your language under Settings > General in the WordPress dashboard, and the product table will automatically show in the correct language. In WPML > Theme and plugins localization, select either ‘Translate themes and plugins using WPML’s String Translation and always load .mo files as backup’ or ‘Don’t use String Translation to translate themes and plugins’.
- Other languages – Use one of these methods to translate the product table:
- Use WPML’s string translation to find the strings that need translating and add the translations via WPML. In WPML > Theme and plugins localization, select either ‘Translate themes and plugins using WPML’s String Translation only (don’t load .mo files)’ or ‘Translate themes and plugins using WPML’s String Translation and always load .mo files as backup’.
- Create your own .po and .mo files and upload them to the site. In WPML > Theme and plugins localization, select either ‘Translate themes and plugins using WPML’s String Translation and always load .mo files as backup’ or ‘ Don’t use String Translation to translate themes and plugins’.
When you set up your product tables, DO NOT enable the caching option. This ensures that the table is loaded with the correct language products for each user, and users are not shown a cached version of the wrong language.