Quick WooCommerce Tutorial: List Bestselling or Popular Products Anywhere On Your Site
I love discovering new ways to use our bestselling WooCommerce Product Table plugin. Today I’m going to share a new method for how to list bestselling or popular products anywhere on your website.
There are lots of reasons why you might want to list bestselling products in order of popularity. Maybe you want to list the most popular products on your website homepage. This is a neat way to draw attention to your main products, and give the most valuable estate to bestselling products making the most sales.
There are many benefits to using this method to list popular products:
- List bestselling products anywhere on your site. This could be the homepage, sidebar text widget, within a blog post – absolutely anywhere!
- Choose how many products to include in the list.
- Add extra columns of data, such as the product image, description and stock status.
- Include an add to cart column so that people can buy popular products directly from the list!
- Choose whether not to show actual sales figures for each product.
- The dynamic list of bestselling products automatically updates in real time based on actual sales figures. No need to manually update it – ever.
Keep reading to learn how to set it up.
How to list bestselling products in a WooCommerce table
The WooCommerce Product Table plugin provides 100’s of different ways to list products. This is how to set it up to list bestselling or popular products in a table anywhere on your site.
First, set up the list popular products plugin
- Get WooCommerce Product Table and install it on your site.
- Go to WooCommerce -> Settings -> Products -> Product Table and activate your license key from the order confirmation email.
- Look through the settings and choose how you want your product tables to behave. If you want to create more than one product list – for example a WooCommerce order form listing all your products, plus a separate list of bestselling products on the homepage – then this is possible. The plugin settings page sets the defaults for all your product tables, and you can override this for each individual table as needed. (Tip: If you’re listing bestselling products then I recommend hiding any unnecessary elements such as the search box and total number of products. It’s best to keep a list of popular products clean and simple.)
- Next, edit the page where you want to list bestselling products. Click the ‘Insert Product Table’ toolbar button:
- This will add a
[product_table]shortcode listing all your products.
Next, configure the list to show popular products
So far, you’ve created a product table listing all your products. Now, you need to edit the shortcode to show popular products only. (Note: You can do all this by choosing the options on the settings page, instead of editing the shortcode. However, I’m telling you the shortcode method so that you can add other types of product table elsewhere on your site.)
Edit your shortcode as follows:
[product_table sort_by="popularity" sort_order="desc" product_limit=5]
This will list the 5 bestselling products based on the number of sales. The most popular products will be listed first. You can change the product limit from 5 to the number of bestselling products you’d like to list.
Your list of popular WooCommerce products should look something like this (depending on which columns you added on the plugin settings page):
Can I list the number of sales for each product?
Yes. To do this, add ‘cf:total_sales’ to the list of columns in your WooCommerce product table. For example, your shortcode might be:
[product_table columns="image,name,description,add-to-cart,cf:total_sales" sort_by="popularity" sort_order="desc" product_limit=5]
List popular products in the sidebar
By now, you know how to list bestselling products on any page, based on the number of sales. You can also add the product table shortcode anywhere else on your site.
For example, there’s no WooCommerce popular products widget built into the WooCommerce core. It’s easy to create your own bestselling products widget by adding the WooCommerce Product Table shortcode directly to a text widget. This is a nice way to draw attention to popular products by listing them throughout your store.
In the below screenshot, I added the WooCommerce Product Table shortcode directly to a text widget:
[product_table columns="image,name" sort_by="popularity" sort_order="desc" product_limit=3]
Where can I get the plugin?
As you can see, WooCommerce Product Table provides lots of fabulous opportunities for listing bestselling products based on popularity. Think about how it can increase sales in your own store.