NEW! WooCommerce Default Quantity Plugin
As an online store owner, you need flexible ways to manage your inventory. This includes setting the WooCommerce default quantity of products. The only problem is that WooCommerce doesn’t provide an out of the box solution for changing the default quantity. Instead, the default quantity of every product is set to 1.
In this article, we’ll introduce you to Barn2’s latest WordPress plugin – WooCommerce Default Quantity. It’s the only plugin on the market that lets you change the default product quantity in WooCommerce.
First we’ll show you how to set it up, and the different ways to set default quantities. Next, we’ll highlight its standout features and explain why you might consider using it on your own WooCommerce website.
Introducing WooCommerce Default Quantity
When store owners add new products (or new product variations), they need a way to set the default quantity. As we mentioned above, WooCommerce defaults this to 1. If you need an easy way to set and edit the default quantity of WooCommerce products then you’ll need to use the WooCommerce Default Quantity plugin.
Introducing WooCommerce Default Quantity: The only plugin on the market that lets you change the default product quantity in WooCommerce.
It gives you the option to:
- Change the default quantity of products storewide.
- Change the default quantity for individual products or product categories.
So, instead of messing around with code or changing qty values manually, you can set a global default quantity for products across your entire online store. For example, if you wanted all products to have a global default value of zero, you’d simply set the Global default quantity option to 0.
The plugin is incredibly easy to get started with. You can start by setting a global default quantity for all WooCommerce products. In addition, you can set the default quantity value for individual products (and product variations) or product categories.
First, install the plugin on your WooCommerce website, and then set the default quantity for individual products directly from the Product data section on the Edit Product screen. The Inventory tab should have an option that lets you set the default quantity for the product you’re editing.
And if you wanted to set the default quantity for an entire category of products, that’s fine too. Simply navigate to the product category (from Products → Categories) and use the Default quantity quantity selector box to set a default quantity for all products under that category.
What does it look like on the front end?
Whichever method you use to change the WooCommerce default quantity, the correct value will automatically display on single product pages.
Why you might need to set default quantities for WooCommerce products
Although there are many plugins out there that let you …
- Set the minimum and maximum quantities
- Enable options for letting customers purchase in quantity increments (for example 0.5, 1.0, 1.5, etc…)
… none of these let you set default product quantities. By default, the default quantity value is set to 1.
If you need to set the default quantity of WooCommerce products to a specific value (such as 0 or any positive number value), you’ll either need to mess around with code or use a dedicated plugin. WooCommerce Default Quantity automatically sets WooCommerce quantity inputs without having to mess around with
The problem with using a min/max quantity plugin is that it doesn’t let you change the default quantity. Plugins such as the official Min/Max Quantities and YITH Quantities plugins only let you add a minimum or maximum value. That’s not the same as the default quantity.
The difference between default quantity and minimum/maximum quantities is that a default quantity is just a suggestion. It doesn’t physically prevent the customer from changing the quantity to anything they like. It’s a subtle way of suggesting that the customer buys more, without actually controlling their behavior.
Types of products that would benefit from changing the default quantity
Online store owners often need a way to set the default quantity values for their products. Here are some examples:
- Training courses and events If you sell training courses or event tickets, your customers might need to buy multiple tickets. In this scenario, it makes sense for the default quantity to be 0. Initially, customers view the booking form with a starting quantity of zero, which they can increase to the required number of tickets.
- Pillow cases, cushions, dinner plates, and furniture If you sell products that are typically bought in sets then you can use the default quantity plugin to pre-fill the quantity field. For example, if you sell pillows, pillow cases, cushions, bed side tables, or dining room chairs, you’d need to be able to set the default quantity of individual products to, say, 2 or 4, or 6.
- Products that are sold by the dozen If you sell hardware goods, auto-parts, or bakery items, you could set the default quantity of products to 12. This way, customers wouldn’t have to manually set it to a dozen (which affects user experience) or accidentally place an order for a single item instead of a dozen.
WooCommerce Default Quantity is the ideal solution for online store owners that need to be able to set the default product quantities of WooCommerce products globally, on an individual product basis, or for all products within a WooCommerce category.
Here are some of the key benefits of displaying default quantities for WooCommerce products:
- Speeds up the checkout process Setting the correct default quantity for products can help you effectively speed up the purchasing process. This way, customers won’t have to change it manually.
- Offers a frictionless shopping experience If your WooCommerce products’ default quantity is set to 0, customers would see an error if they simply try to add products to cart without first changing the product quantity. This would result in an error and create friction in the buying user flow.
- Increase your average order value First, set a higher default quantity value for WooCommerce products (such as 2 or 12), and then watch your average order value increase! This is especially useful for store owners who need to sell products by the dozen.
Start setting quantity defaults on your site today!
As a store owner, you probably need to be able to set (and change) the default quantity of products. You can do this in seconds using the WooCommerce Default Quantity plugin. You’ll be able to set default quantities:
- Globally (i.e. for all products)
- For individual WooCommerce products
- For entire WooCommerce product categories
Do you have any questions about how to get started? We’re happy to help, so let us know in the comments section below!