Complete Guide: How to Set Up WooCommerce Product Variations
WooCommerce product variations let online store owners display multiple options for a product. This way, customers can choose whichever variation of the product they want. For example, you can use variations to sell t-shirts in different colors, pizza in different sizes, or subscription boxes with different capacities.
In this ultimate guide to creating and using WooCommerce variations, we’ll explain what product variations are and how to use the product variations that come with WooCommerce.
We’ll also share some fantastic plugins you can use to display your WooCommerce product variations in more effective ways, manage them easily, and ultimately sell more of each variation. This will include WooCommerce plugins for selling product variations in bulk and selling product variations from any page on your online store – not just on single product pages.
What are WooCommerce product variations?
Most online stores sell at least a few products that are available in different variations. For example:
- Apparel that comes in different colors or sizes (like t-shirts, trousers, or shoes).
- Food items that have different sizes (for example coffee cup size options or pizza base diameters).
- Subscription boxes or build-your-own products that are available in different sizes (for example small, medium, and large).
As an online store owner, you should use WooCommerce product variations when selling products that have different options you want to let customers choose from. For example, if you were Starbucks, you would offer coffee cup sizes (Short, Tall, Grande, Venti Hot, Venti Cold, and Trenta) as variations.
Out of the box, the free WooCommerce plugin lets you add as many “options” (i.e. variations) as you’d like to each WooCommerce product. Customers can select the variation they’d like to purchase from the single product page and add it to their cart.
How to create and manage variations using WooCommerce
In WooCommerce, the product variations feature comprises of two aspects – attributes and variations.
- Attributes. These are product descriptors like color, size, material, and capacity.
- Variations. These are the options available for each attribute. For example, the color attribute might have Red, Blue, and Gray variations or the size attribute might have Small, Medium, and Large variations for customers to choose from.
Here, we’ll show you how to create and manage variations using WooCommerce.
Step 1: Create attributes
To create WooCommerce product variations, you need to first create attributes and then create variations for each attribute.
- Navigate to Products → Attributes from the WordPress admin panel.
- Enter a name and slug for the attribute and click the Add attribute button.
- Click the Configure terms link from the list of attributes on the right.
- Add as many values as you’d like for the attribute.
Step 2: Assign attributes to WooCommerce products
By now, we’ve created attributes for the product variations we want to offer through the online store. Next, we’ll set products up as variable products (i.e. products that have variations) and assign attributes to them.
- Open up a WooCommerce product that you’d like to add variations to and scroll down to the Product data section.
- Select the Variable product option using the dropdown.
- Click on the Attributes tab and use the dropdown to select the attribute you’d like to assign to this product. Click Add.
- Choose all the values that apply to the product.
- Tick the checkboxes next to the Visible on the product page and Used for variations options.
- Click the Save attributes button to proceed.
Step 3: Add WooCommerce variations to products
The final step is to add WooCommerce variations to the product. These will be the product variations that appear on your site’s front-end.
- Go to the Variations tab, use the dropdown to select the Add variation option, and click on the Go button.
- Select whichever attribute values apply to the product.
- Customize the settings for each variation you created. You can:
- Upload a separate image for each variation.
- Set the product SKU, regular price, sale price, and stock status.
- Set the weight and dimensions of the product.
- Click the Save changes button.
Repeat these steps to add as many WooCommerce product variations as you’d like. Click the Save changes button when you’re done. It will look something like this on your site’s front-end:
WooCommerce Product Table for displaying WooCommerce product variations
By default, WooCommerce product variations only appear on the single product page. What this means is that customers have to click through to the single product page from the main shop page to view and select variations. This makes the main purchasing user flow unnecessarily long.
The good news is that the WooCommerce Product Table plugin provides superior ways to display product variations on the front-end. This way, you can allow customers to select and add variations to their shopping carts from just about anywhere in your store, not just on the single product page.
More specifically, you can choose to list variations in two different ways:
- As dropdowns in the front-end product table layout.
- List each variation as a separate product with each one on a separate row of the table. Each variation has its own add to cart button or multi-select checkbox, depending on your preference.
Let customers select variations from a quick view lightbox
Another way to let customers select product variations away from the single product page is by displaying them as dropdowns in a quick view lightbox. This is possible with the WooCommerce Quick View Pro plugin.
You can use the WooCommerce Quick View Pro plugin together with the WooCommerce Product Table plugin to add quick view buttons directly to the table layout. The key benefit of this is that you can display additional product details in the table layout while giving customers the option to use the quick view lightbox to select variations.
Alternatively, you can use the WooCommerce Quick View Pro plugin to add quick view buttons directly to your main shop page. This way, instead of navigating to the single product page to select and add variations to the cart, customers can simply use the quick view lightbox. The key benefit of this approach is that they can continue where they left off once they’ve added a variation to their shopping cart.
Let customers buy WooCommerce product variations in bulk
Our new WooCommerce Bulk Variations Pro plugin provides a quick way for customers to buy product variations in bulk. It does this by letting store owners list products in a WooCommerce variations grid layout. The plugin also adds a quantity picker and an Add to Cart button for each variation.
This is particularly useful for online stores that sell to wholesale buyers. Customers can simply use the WooCommerce variations grid layout to enter how many units of each variation they’d like to purchase and click the Add to Cart button to add all selected variations (in the correct quantities) to their shopping cart at once.
Bonus: an easier way to manage multiple variations
The WooCommerce Product Add-Ons plugin provides an easier way for online store owners to manage multiple variations in WooCommerce. Here are some of the key benefits of using add-ons as an alternative to WooCommerce product variations:
- It’s easier to create large numbers of variations because they’re structured differently. All you have to do is add each option instead of adding every possible combination.
- You can assign a price to each option and allow customers to choose as many as they’d like. Each add-on would then add to the base price of the product. This way, you don’t have to create multiple variations each with different prices.
For example, if you’re selling pizza, you would want to add crust sizes (10 inches, 14 inches, and 20 inches) as variations and use the WooComerce Products Add-Ons plugin to add available toppings (extra cheese, pepperoni, olives, and jalapenos) as add-ons.
Set up WooCommerce product variations and start selling!
WooCommerce product variations make it easier for online store owners to sell different versions of the same product without having to add it as a separate product. It also makes it easier for customers to make purchases.
To take things to the next level, you can use different WooCommerce plugins to make your WooCommerce product variations sell better:
- List product variations as dropdowns or on individual rows using WooCommerce Product Table to improve visibility and simplify the purchasing user flow.
- Add quick view buttons to the product table or on the main shop page using the WooCommerce Quick View Pro plugin to let customers add variations to their cart without navigating to the single product page.
- Let wholesale buyers quickly add product variations to their cart and purchase variations in bulk using WooCommerce Bulk Variations Pro.
- Manage multiple variations like a pro using the WooCommerce Product Add-Ons plugin in combination with WooCommerce’s variations feature.
Ready to maximize WooCommerce product variation sales on your e-commerce store? Get the plugins today!